Friday, February 15, 2008

GROWING UP IN REVERSE


I may be one of the few people to say this and actually mean it, but I HATED my childhood years. People say the most perfect things that they remembered and only wish that they can go back. NOT ME! Growing up I always remembered having to be responsible. I learned too much of what adults were suppose to be responsible for. What I mean exactly, I learned or shall I say I was taught how to worry about Everything. If my mother was cooking and she ran to answer the phone Guess who had to run into the kitchen to make sure the food didn’t burn? I had two younger brothers growing up Guess who was responsible for them as far as bathing and eating and making sure they were safe when we played outside and while at school? My mother was not fluent in the English language so Guess who had to be the official translator when she did not understand what someone was saying to her or if she wanted to tell someone something? I know these examples may seem simple but believe me my list can go on for days if I had the time. I am always told that I do not look my age. Now I find that hard to believe being that my childhood was lived as a Housewife… Not that it’s a bad thing, but not when you are FOUR YEARS OLD! So it was around the time that I turned 18 when I all of the sudden do not look my age. I finally began to live the life that I wanted meaning not having to be responsible for another person and enjoying MYSELF and MY TIME. I started to take vacations at least three times per year. I spoil myself to NO LIMIT. Now that I am a grown adult my parents seem to treat me as a child. They want to do for me as they should have when I was younger. I’m sure they somehow realized the stresses that I grew up with and are trying to make up for it now. I don’t hold anything against their parenting. I just wonder had I grown up the RIGHT way, Would I be the person that I am today?

1 comment:

Cristina Devereaux Ramírez, Ph.D said...

Hmmm. Interesting life you've had. I'm like the opposite. I was pampered for too long, and now I want it tough, I want the challenges in life. That's why I've gone for my Ph.D.

Keep thinking!